Another memoirist is in the process of being caught telling stories that may have only a minimal connection with reality.
Greg Mortenson, author of the best sellers Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools, has been accused in both a story by 60 Minutes and by a new electronically published article by Jon Krakauer of fabricating substantial parts of his book. I want to develop this further, but in the mean time, here’s a collection of materials on the subject:
- 60 Minutes story on Greg Mortenson
- Daily Beast – Krakauer writes Mortenson tell-all
- Howard Kurtz (Daily Beast) – Another memoir meltdown
Commentary from Daily Beast’s media/Washington reporter
- Jon Krakauer – Three cups of deceit
Free download for a day or two more of Krakauer’s extended article on Mortenson
- Daniel Glick – 60 Minutes expose on Three Cups of Tea is weak – and wrong
Defense of Mortenson by a reporter from Asia.
- Outside Online - Greg Mortenson Speaks
Interview with Mortenson defending himself. Published on a web site that has carried much of Krakauer’s work.
UPDATE 2/14/12: Mortenson is facing a civil suit over the acknowledged fabrications in his book Three Cups of Tea. A class action lawsuit representing readers of the book resulted in refunds to complaining readers totaling $27,348; attorney fees were more than $700,000.