This blog entry is really for my feature-writing students, but the rest of you are welcome to read some great issue-oriented feature stories:
- Omaha World-Herald: Living The Gluten-free Life
Living with celiac disease in the heartland.
- Washington Post: Loving the Warrior
A Yale honor student in love with a wounded platoon leader. How the wars we are in connect with those who are usually a long ways away from them.
- Washington Post: Fatal Distraction: Parents who forget a child in a hot car
Gene Weingarten typically takes a light, humorous approach to his writing. This one goes serious. Are parents who accidentally leave a child in a hot car to die guilty of a crime? (Pulitzer winning story)
- New York Times: Dealing With Aging Prisoners
With long, mandatory prison sentences the norm, states are having to deal with an aging cohort of lifers. A Rick Bragg story from 1995. (Pulitzer winning story)
- And finally, my blog post from two years ago for this assignment with more stories to consider.