Here are a some of the videos we either will be or have been watching as part of our discussion of the development of the movie industry.
- Here are links to the silent movies examples we watched earlier this week, including Edwin Porter’s The Great Train Robbery.
- Here’s a great scene from Singing in the Rain that illustrates the difficulties in moving from silent to talking films.
- Scene from 1932 pre-code movie Skyscraper Souls. Early example of bad language in films.
- During the Code period, you could make movies about controversial topics like abortion as long as you were coy about it. Here’s Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood in Love with the Perfect Stranger.
- Trailer for Midnight Cowboy, the only Best Picture winner with an X-rating.
- Trailer for the movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the first major movie to have all digital backgrounds and sets.
- Not all movies come from Hollywood. Here’s a great scene, this one from the Bollywood film Mohabbatein.