I’ve been talking lately with folks about social media. Here are a few thoughts on the subject:
What are social media?
- Online sites that allow users to generate content, comment, tag, and network with friends or other like-minded people.
What are our social media?
News breaks on social media whether you want it to or not
- Using social media in times of crisis
- Social media moves faster than earthquakes
- News about bin Laden’s death was live Tweeted
- News about Gabrielle Giffords broke through social media
Know what you’re broadcasting via social media.
- What kinds of things can you safely retweet?
- Be careful with what you tweet; just ask Alison Pill
- Students expelled for what they tweet
Know what other people are saying about you on social media
How can you use social media to help you in your work?
- Establish a two-way relationship with clients, creating a sense of interaction
- Maintain an on-going relationship with publics, not just during times of crisis
Look at JPL and the Mars Science Lab Curiosity
- Solve problems you may not be aware of.
Charter is great at this!
- What’s a hashtag, and how can you use them?